[GRLUG] Wireless question

Godwin godwin at grandrapids-lug.org
Mon Dec 27 23:38:29 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Joseph McLaughlin <jwm8351 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have a device - call it a dlink dsm-320 I want to connect it wirelessly
> to my network. It only uses wep 64 or 128 keys ( or nothing )
> Should I redo my network to use its encription?
> or
> Is there a magical device to connect the Media Player to my network.
> (I could run a trip net but wife would not be to happy)

I have a Linksys
WET610N<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124338>wireless
bridge connected to a small Linksys 5-port switch, which networks
my TV and blu-ray player to my network for DLNA media streaming from my
FreeNAS box to the big screen over wifi-N.  Netflix, Pandora, and the like
work flawlessly.  I can play a Luis Fonsi "en concierto" video from the NAS
(via my Samsung Galaxy S phone) to the TV over wifi-N pretty nicely.

  I also have a Buffalo
WLAE-AG300N<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162036>(two
port) connecting my Ooma VOIP phone device over wifi-N downstairs to a
Linksys WRT-610N router (running DD-WRT, but acting only as an access
point).  Both bridges work like a charm with WPA2-AES.  Alright, brag-fest
over.  :-)

G-

--

Ubber::Geek