[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - FCC to vote on net neutrality later today.

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 19:31:09 EST 2010

There are two types of license: Amateur and Commercial (I've had both), each
with specific requirements. In the commercial world, it is illegal to
disclose or repeat messages received without permission, and keeping them
private is a mandate. In the amateur world, communications are public and
for experimental/entertainment purposes. Encryption is prohibited. Maybe
because it can't be a threat to established governments. In the old days,
ham radio communications were possible to some pretty restrictive locations,
though getting a license there may have been somewhat restricted too. Casual
conversations were possible with people behind the wall. Nothing important
could be sent on ham channels; that's what commercial channels were for.

[Health and welfare messages are not "important" in this context, but are
common traffic for hams.]

There's still lots to learn that requires a ham license. With a license, you
can use larger antennae and more powerful transmitters than without. At St.
Charles LUG, there was a presentation on instrumentation for amateur
rocketry that required a ham license. Very interesting, and shows some of
what we can learn.

One topic that's lots of fun is testing how far you can go with 802.11
2.4GHz communications. Might be hard to break some of the standing records,
but putting additional restrictions can make it more challenging.
Improvising an antenna system and testing it is a technical exercise.

--Don Ellis
[wb5zgt => kd0ye ( lapsed )]