[GRLUG] Not Linux FCC to rule on net neutrality.

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Dec 21 22:10:03 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 05:44:41PM -0500, peyeps at iserv.net wrote:
> "... it's a silly distinction..."
>
> Sadly, I don't believe it is a silly distinction.  The plain fact of the
> matter is the wireless infrastructure can not support the load the cable
> infrastructure can.
>
> Bandwidth limiting I can accept.  Content limiting, in my opinion, should
> be verbotin.
>
> But on the other hand, unlimited web access for a phone, but not for a
> tethering device makes one wonder.   And the thing is not cheap.   A
> monthly allocation of 5 gig is laughable in this day and age.  That's a
> mere 7 CDs, or little more than a single DVD.  Only 30 minutes to download
> a 700 meg .iso.  Seven downloads, and you are done for the month?

You're missing a critical piece.  Whether I buy unlimited access from my
ISP or a 5GB plan, I should be able to use that access in whatever way I
decide.  If I go over the data limit for my plan, that's my choice.  But
within that data plan I should be able to use VOIP or BitTorrent or
visit a web site without reduced functionality because my ISP decides
it's "better for their network" (again, within the data limits of my
plan).

Let's say Verizon Wireless decides to create their own online bookstore.
Since they're *wireless* they should be able to block traffic to
amazon.com and redirect people to their own site?  I realize that's
extreme, but that's the real issue of net neutrality.  It's not about
bandwidth (though the ISPs claim it is).

Let's say the local telephone company (which has a monopoly on the wires
to each home in the area) decides to set up their own catalog shopping
company.  Should they be able to determine that calls routed to other
catalog shopping companies should have reduced priority, that sometimes
they won't actually connect me to the competing company?  Or should they
be able to allow a connection, but with really, really bad sound
quality?  No, of course not, because "network neutrality" is required of
phone companies for phone traffic.

Is not data traffic similar?  That is the crux of the issue.
--
john-thomas
------