[GRLUG] Caviar black & green

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:13:30 EST 2010

I've had one Black 1TB out of three fail on me in the last year. It
was part of a RAID0 at first, and most recently was part of an
unstriped LVM volume group. We've still got most of a dozen or so
200GB Caviar Greens still floating around in various roles at the
office. They spent a few years as part of a large RAID5, prior. I have
no real complaints against the caviar line.

Now, I'll heartily *recommend* Seagate 1.5TB greens; they survived a
RAID5 I put them in for about a year, and are still alive in other
roles. (That same RAID5 set had to undergo at least three rebuilds
because of administrator failure, and of failure of other hardware
components.)