[GRLUG] Deserializing JSON in .NET (C#)

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 09:11:40 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Dave Brondsema <dave at brondsema.net> wrote:
> I bet you'd look on rosetta code if there were a page for it ;)  I
> started http://rosettacode.org/wiki/JSON
>
> Mike, btw, I'd suggest removing JSON as a language altogether.
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:JSON

Yeah, I actually started moving on that last night, as a result of
this thread. I'm using Semantic MediaWiki's properties to note JSON as
a format.

> It's really only a data
> structure format, and only has two tasks implemented (not correctly
> either).  I was going to fix them, but can't even come up with a good
> way to do it, since it's just data, not a language.

There's an interesting problem, there. Some languages are descriptive
in nature. (I had a wonderful conversation with a guy at BarCamp who
programs in XML/XSL, and I didn't have any problem describing what he
was doing as programming. That requires XSL, though there are others.)
Still, JSON doesn't seem to fully qualify.

I'll move on getting JSON, YAML and XML treated as "formats", though.