[GRLUG] Video Editing on Linux Part 2 at WMLUG

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 22:28:29 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Adam Erickson <adam at openfad.com> wrote:
> I could not get FFMPEG to change .OGV to .MP4.
> Mediabuntu did not help. What did the trick was uninstalling Unbuntu's FFMPEG
> and go strait to the source.
>
> This instruction works on Lucid and has links to others. It includes installing
> qt-faststart. -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

Interesting. I haven't had to install from source, but getting all of
the right codecs for your particular files can be a black art. I feel
like I'm performing an intricate magic spell as I prepare and edit,
and one little mistake will render it broken.

Did you happen to install all of the pieces I mention on page 13 at
http://brousch.orthicomp.com/files/video-editing-on-linux-part1.pdf ?

> Thank you Ben for showing me Openshot it is a lot easier to use.

I'm glad it worked eventually. These editors are still way more
finicky than they should be. As another example, I'm working with a
guy who ended up with a long blank stretch at the end of his videos. I
suspect it's because he used AVI instead of the magic conversion to
mpeg4. Things are getting better, but they've still got a ways to go.

--
  Ben Rousch
  brousch at gmail.com
  http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/