[GRLUG] groupware recommendation

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Aug 24 19:02:13 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 16:57 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> Where I work, the guy who has control over our servers is extremely
> paranoid of external housing of data. (No, that's not going to change;
> don't let that debate sidetrack this thread.) We haven't touched
> external dedicated managed-hardware servers or VPS, much less managed
> applications. Colo is the closest we've gotten.
> I'd be very interested to know about groupware recommendations that
> can be managed in-house.

Well, I'm developing OpenGroupware Coils.  Evolution is the first client
I test with.  But it isn't a released product/project, yet.

It is a port of the Objective-C OpenGroupware server which is a PITA to
get installed on modern distributions [GNUStep being a mess].

Besides OpenGroupware there is Scalable OpenGroupware [which isn't
OpenGroupware despite the eponymous name], E-Groupware, and Citadel.
All support GroupDAV and should work to some extent with Evolution - I
haven't tested any of them in ages.

I'm not "paranoid" but I do -1 proprietary solutions, such as gmail.
Placing ones data in a vendor-specified proprietary vat just doesn't
make sense.