[GRLUG] Thin clients

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:35:18 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Casey DuBois <casey at grlug.org> wrote:
> Yea it looks pretty cool and using minimal power seems to be the ONLY advantage.

Ok, here's another. That particular device is powered using PoE,which
means it doesn't lose power if the network switch doesn't. That
strikes me as nice. (Nicer still if there were a way to keep the VGA
display powered. I guess one still needs a UPS for that.)

> I'm thinking the sweet spot would be a large corporation in California
> figuring out how to get a tax credit (energy efficient dealio) for
> purchasing them and also use less power to save some cash.
>
> Also now that they have the box off the desk they can make our CUBES
> smaller.....  :-(

Heh. That reminded me of Tron, which I just watched again a few weeks
ago. That may be the only movie I've ever seen that used a matte
painting to extend the apparent size of a cube farm.