[GRLUG] Thin clients

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Aug 23 08:43:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 08:34 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> Wow...This thing would be *awesome* as a thin client:
> http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/a_pc_the_size_o.php

But, like all thin-clients, it will cost more than a PC [while offering
fewer features] and thus be essentially irrelevant in the market-place.

It is a neat idea (like a lot of this stuff) and a cool device.  But I'd
never buy one [and you'd have to buy two - as there is certainly no
fixing that thing if it has issues - return to more-expensive-than-PC
meme].  Which is sad,  thin-clients *could* be a real win.

> Windows RDP supports attaching remote USB and audio to the user's
> desktop session. My familiarity with X11 forwarding is limited to
> graphical and UI. PulseAudio could manage to tie in audio, but I don't
> know what could flexibly tie in USB flash drives.
> Has anybody here dug into thin clients to that extent?

I'm pretty sure the LTSP project solved that issue awhile ago.  I used
to use LTSP and remote devices worked pretty well.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>