[GRLUG] usb stuff

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sun Aug 22 15:49:37 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 03:16:36PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Adam Erickson <adam at openfad.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I have a Sansa unit, so far unused.  Could you please string a few
> > > words together about what you use to download files to it?  -- Bob
> >
> > What exact type of situation are you having a problem with?
> >
> > In simplest ways I use it like a USB thumb-drive.  Make sure you are
> > using the supported audio and video formats and just place them in
> > the correct directory and Sansa should pick it up.  There should be
> > a music and video directory (if yours does video that is);
> >
> > BONUS I can also plug the charging USB cord into my JVC car stereo
> > USB port and use the stereo to listen to audio files in several
> > directories as it charges my Sansa.
> >
> > Previously I thought I could only control audio with the Sansa when
> > you use a audio cord to go from the Sansa headphone jack to the
> > radios input jack .
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Adam M. Erickson
> >
> No issues, yet.
>
> So I can just cp an mp3 file, e.g., to the device?
>
> e.g., cp zz.mp3  sansa-device?
>
>   -- Bob

If you prefer pointy-clicky music transfers, try Songbird.  From what I
understand it's similar to iTunes (though I've never used iTunes).  From
Songbird's "Library" of music (ie, your own or music sites you've
connected to) you simply drag & drop to the Sansa device.

Then again, the CLI is nearly always faster.
--
john-thomas
------