[GRLUG] Google DNS

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 09:15:02 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 08:59 -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
>> I don't see too many speed drops, maybe because I don't stress the
>> connection all that often.  I get crazy speed early Sunday morning,
>> but middling all others times I have tried speed test.
>> The only reason I think it is the DNS service, when it really doesn't
>> make sense that DNS would cause one part of the page will load and
>> another part won't, is that switching back to Comcast DNS totally
>> fixed the issues.  I think Google might store the you tube videos on
>> different server from the youtube page, the map tiles on a different
>> server than maps.google.com, and some scripts for gmail as well.
>
> I'm certain they, and most sites, do exactly that.  I typically see a
> dozen or so name requests for any given page.  [but I don't use OpenDNS
> or GoogleDNS].
>
> I've been told that some ISP redirect DNS queries to their own servers.
> I have no idea if that includes Comcast [I don't use Comcast].  And
> there really isn't any reason not to use the nearest upstream DNS
> server, nothing will be faster.  If you want speed install a local DNS
> server; hosting bind is ultra-trivial.

Comcast has their own DNS servers, but I don't know that UDP to port
53 on any given public IP from within their network get redirected to
them.

Comcast's DNS servers *do* apply a "Sitefinder"-type service, where if
they error out trying to get a domain name, they return the IP of an
affiliate search engine.