[GRLUG] Google DNS

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Aug 6 09:02:15 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 08:59 -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> I don't see too many speed drops, maybe because I don't stress the
> connection all that often.  I get crazy speed early Sunday morning,
> but middling all others times I have tried speed test.
> The only reason I think it is the DNS service, when it really doesn't
> make sense that DNS would cause one part of the page will load and
> another part won't, is that switching back to Comcast DNS totally
> fixed the issues.  I think Google might store the you tube videos on
> different server from the youtube page, the map tiles on a different
> server than maps.google.com, and some scripts for gmail as well.

I'm certain they, and most sites, do exactly that.  I typically see a
dozen or so name requests for any given page.  [but I don't use OpenDNS
or GoogleDNS].

I've been told that some ISP redirect DNS queries to their own servers.
I have no idea if that includes Comcast [I don't use Comcast].  And
there really isn't any reason not to use the nearest upstream DNS
server, nothing will be faster.  If you want speed install a local DNS
server; hosting bind is ultra-trivial.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>