[GRLUG] Tempted to buy a CRT

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 16:34:00 EDT 2010

I'm tempted to buy a CRT, because I want the improved color response
(compared to what I'm getting with my flat panels).

CRTs, of course, are stupid expensive to ship, which means it makes a
lot more sense to buy local. Unfortunately, I'm of that generation of
computer geeks that didn't use CRTs *enough* to know how to fix them
up or, necessarily, be able to tell a good one from a bad one. I
figure my best bet is probably to buy used, and clean it up by
repairing it. That's *got* to be cheaper than buying a flat panel with
better than 12bpp or 18bpp.

So...I'm looking at the more seasoned folks in here to chime in. What
are the practical benefits of buying new or used? What are the common
failures of CRTs (apart from the obvious burn-in) that you've
experienced, and what have you learned how to fix?