[GRLUG] wifi connection drops under Ubuntu

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Tue Apr 13 05:34:21 EDT 2010

For comparison purposes, I am running Ubuntu 9.04 oan  an Aspire One.

When I run iwconfig I get:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"Network_Netgear"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Access Point: 00:22:3F:A4:95:CE
          Bit Rate=24 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=46/100  Signal level:-53 dBm  Noise level=-83 dBm

I don't see a noise level on your report, but noticed your signal level is
about the same as my noise level.  I assume the difference is due to the
version of Ubuntu you installed.  I refrained from going up to 10, because
I heard some things did not work as well.  I don't know if you want to try
an install of 9.04.  You could try it on a memory stick, and see if that
helps.  (Like a live CD).   The other two things I can think of, I noticed
you are running a much faster network than I am.   The Netgear router I am
using is a relatively because we were having problems with the signal
dropping with the Linksys router we had, with my wife's Macbook.  I think
the Netgear router was something like $35.00.  The cheapest thing to try
at the moment to my mind might be to try the 9.04 on a memory stick.  I've
used nothing but the Ubuntu 9.04 on this netbook.  It did come with XP
pre-installed, and the partition for that still exists, but never booted.