[GRLUG] shutdown -F WMNTUG Windows 7 Meeting

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Sep 26 19:43:36 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 07:21:48PM -0400, peyeps at iserv.net wrote:
[snip]
> Right now with this relatively new machine, there's not a lot on it, and
> the file system check doesn't take very long.
>
> The boot on this netbook takes a lot less time than an XP boot, or my
> 6.06.  It might not be a valid comparison, because the 6.06 is on a
> Toshiba laptop bought in 2006, and this machine is a new Acer Aspire.   It
> does take a little longer after login than the old 6.06.

[snip]

I rebooted my laptop the other day while on battery power.  During boot
I was surprised to see a message that stated that since the computer was
on battery power it was skipping the automatic filesystem check.  That
seems really, really smart.  If you have a hundred gigs of data on a
laptop that can take a really, really long time to fsck.
--
john-thomas
------