[GRLUG] WMNTUG Windows 7 Meeting

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:12:01 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Raymond McLaughlin
<driveray at ameritech.net>wrote:

> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >> How necessary is this anymore?
> >
> > To delay, or control, the mandatory filesystem check that occurs every X
> > number of mounts.  On large filesystems this can take a very long time
> > and on laptops it can just be down right annoying.
>
> This is why XFS is my filesystem of choice, especially for large
> volumes. Some folks like to stick with a small ext3 volume for the OS
> itself, and there are valid reasons for this selection. But for big
> (>30G) filesystems XFS is really the way to go.
>
> Raymond McLaughlin

Please elaborate.  XFS can be checked
much faster, but  just as thoroughly in
some sense?  What are the "valid reasons?"
As in, I don't know  a thing about it, so a
small word salad about what it is, and its
virtues and advantages over ext3, would
be appreciated.

Hasn't ext4 started to be used in Linux?
Anyone know what it offers in the way
of improvements over ext3, and the rest
of the world of file systems?

Yes, these questions can be about as