[GRLUG] LINUX and NOT LINUX

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:28:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In the LINUX column, I discovered that
>> > LINUX does not support Canon scanners.
>> > I tried XSane and Scanlite.  XSane will
>> > produce a scan, but the colors are way
>> > off, and I couldn't find a way to correct
>> > them.
>>
>> Have you tried building a color profile for the scanner?  The lprof
>> package looks like it might help.
>>
> That's the kind of thing Canon and
> others provide you when they supply
> you with a CD for your windoz system.

*Sometimes* they do, and it depends on the device.  However, each
device will have slight difference resulting from the manufacture
process, and it's not unknown for professionals who want the greatest
precision and accuracy to build their own color profiles.

In the case of monitors, the color profile is often generated
afterward by software you install on your system.

[snip]

> See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_color_management
>
> and in particular:
>
> Software for input and output profiling

See "apt-cache search ICC|less".

> Looks to me like this is a big enough job
> that it should only be done once, preferably
> by the people doing the reverse engineering.

No, because there are manufacturing level differences that are
important if you want precision.

> It take equipment the typical putterer is not
> likely to even have access to, much less own.

Reverse-engineering USB traffic between Windows and a USB device?
Windows VM guest on a Linux host, using the tools that exist on Linux
for sniffing USB traffic.  No special hardware required.