[GRLUG] Cloud VMs, Hosting, & CMSs [Was: NOT LINUX - broadband]

John J. Foerch jjfoerch at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 3 12:28:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 12:10:46PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> A system that renders to static files after a post, and where those
> static files are all most users ever see, already takes some of the
> biggest attack vectors and makes the window small.  A system
> consisting <em>entirely</em> of static files on the server would be
> nice, but that puts the onus on the post authors to create them before
> uploading them, and I don't see how it would support a comment system
> without pulling from a comment server app. (Though the idea of
> separating a page and its attached comments is something I've pondered
> for a year or two...)

I made one website that is entirely static on the server.  This allows the
customer to have *really cheap* web hosting.  Basically, I installed a web
server on the person's computer, along with the CMS and website.  Then I
wrote a program that fetches the website from the local server, and
transforms all the hyperlinks to turn it into all static html.  It's not
the most elegant setup, but it does the trick.

--
John Foerch