[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Sep 2 20:33:52 EDT 2009

> > > If service providers aren't absolutely FORCED to provide better
> > > data-service they won't they will keep offering the very minimum they can,
> > > and issue government regulated lines - because there is more profit in them!
> > > Why install a DSL Circut when you can force business customers to pay 8 -
> > > 10 times the amount for T1's.
> I loathe the idea of government intervention (do we really want
> cash-for-clunkers quality service with our internet infrastructure?).
> The best way to force service providers to improve is to (and this has
> been mentioned already) let the market decide.  The market *cannot*
> decide currently.  I don't want cable from Comcast.  What are my choices
> for cable tv?  The market is hamstringed.

Because there is not, and never will be, a real "market" for such
services.  The "market" is hamstrung by the fact that it does not exist.
You have two choices [outside of dense urban areas] which are (a)
government or (b) corporate monopoly.  I'll pick (a) every day of the
week.

And as for "cash-for-clunkers quality service" - I'll accept that as an
example.  It perform exactly the intended objective.