[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:38:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Bob Kline<bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's also the biggest messiest MDF I've ever seen in my life, and would
>> serve as a good laugh for everyone.
>>

> Indeed.  A T3 line would cost you about
> $10,000 a month or more, and give you
> about the same bit rate as  the people in
> parts of France get.

Don't forget that T-carriers are regulated, and that certain service
levels are mandated by the federal government.  Fast, cheap, reliable.
 If you can get all three at once, I'd be interested to hear about it.
 Those people in France have to deal with the same crappy uptimes that
residential users in the US get.  People in the US who pay for a T3
are paying for uptime as well as data rate.

> As for getting people to demand better,
> how does one demand anything of a monopoly?

A monopoly can be demanded of by way of law.  I'm not saying I like
that approach, but the approach exists.

> Yes, there is DSL and cable in many areas,
> but DSL competes on price, and cable of
> performance.   Sort of.  i.e., there is no real
> competition.

That doesn't parse...Would you care to elaborate?