[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:29:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really think the Broadband infrastructure is a travesty in this country.
> There are countless reasons why it is the way it is, in the "Per-Capita
> Wealthiest Nation in the World" (according to the CIA factbook)
>
> The CIA Fact Book has some interesting statistics about "developed regions"
> and "density regions".  If you only take into account these areas that the
> Factbook compares as urban or "Density Regions" we have one of the highest
> Population Densities in the world... All in all there is really no excuse to
> not service these areas with high-end and affordable broadband that is
> actually reliable.
>
> I used to work across from the Airport at 44th and Patterson in a Huge
> office complex.
> There was all sorts of Fiber being piped into the buildings utility room
> from the previous owner of the complex (Bosch) - Even a giant at&t
> distribution frame labeled DS3-[serial-numbers].
> but all that was available from both AT&T and TDS was T1 - and at a hefty
> $460 a month.
> I couldn't understand how EVERYTHING around us had business DSL, and Cable
> available.
> Comcast even considered servicing the building (of over 60 offices), but
> nothing came of it.
>
> If service providers aren't absolutely FORCED to provide better
> data-service they won't they will keep offering the very minimum they can,
> and issue government regulated lines - because there is more profit in them!
> Why install a DSL Circut when you can force business customers to pay 8 -
> 10 times the amount for T1's.
>
> The biggest irony was, I still believe to this day there actually was a DSL
> circut in the building....
> AT&T fiber came in to a large Adtran Distribution Frame, and then that
> distribution frame was attached to a box, the box had a bunch of cards in it
> labeled "DSL-1234213" and twisted pairs coming out of the cards...
> But yet AT&T swore up and down there was no DSL service into the building.
> Maybe if there is someone that knows more about phone and data
> infrastructure they can explain to me what I am describing - I still have
> access to the building I should go back and take pictures, I am curious to
> this day.
>
> It's also the biggest messiest MDF I've ever seen in my life, and would
> serve as a good laugh for everyone.

Indeed.  A T3 line would cost you about
$10,000 a month or more, and give you
about the same bit rate as  the people in
parts of France get.

As for getting people to demand better,
how does one demand anything of a monopoly?
Yes, there is DSL and cable in many areas,
but DSL competes on price, and cable of
performance.   Sort of.  i.e., there is no real
competition.

   -- Bob