[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:27:31 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Bob Kline<bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM, John J. Foerch <jjfoerch at earthlink.net>
> wrote:

>> > I honestly do not know what I would do with more bandwidth.  Faster
>> > upload would be great, but I don't run a server.  Backing up to my
>> > online backup would be more convenient, that's all.  I have the basic
>> > speed (8Mbps?) from Comcast and my wife and I can both watch something
>> > from hulu.com just fine.  I'm not sure what more speed would get me.
>> > Not that I wouldn't love it, mind you, I just don't know what I'd do
>> > with it.
>>
>> 56k dialup is our only reasonably priced option here.  It makes me sad.
>>
> Plenty fast for ASCII text messages - the
> only kind used by this group.....

Try SSHing into a remote server with dial-up.  The latency is horrid,
and the jitter of the latency is even worse.

> Hey, that's a lot faster that the first
> Cat modem I had many years ago.  The kind
> with the cups for the handset, and a full
> 300 baud....

Had one of those.  Spent more of my youth on 1200 connected to a local
BBS, though.

> Lessee.  At about the same time you could
> get a 9,600 baud modem for many $thousands,
> and it was as big as todays PCs.  You needed a
> "conditioned line" to use it, and that would cost
> you a little more.
>
> By contrast, you're really living it up...  ;-)

Sure.  Any technology is likely to be "living it up" compared to
thirty years ago, but that doesn't excuse us from pushing for
improvement.

What was the quote I saw on QDB earlier this week? "If I went back and
showed this to someone ten years ago, they'd think I was from the
future."