[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:20:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM, John J. Foerch <jjfoerch at earthlink.net>wrote:

> > > And send some of that over this way to Lowell Township while you're at
> it.
> > > :)
> >
> > I honestly do not know what I would do with more bandwidth.  Faster
> > upload would be great, but I don't run a server.  Backing up to my
> > online backup would be more convenient, that's all.  I have the basic
> > speed (8Mbps?) from Comcast and my wife and I can both watch something
> > from hulu.com just fine.  I'm not sure what more speed would get me.
> > Not that I wouldn't love it, mind you, I just don't know what I'd do
> > with it.
>
> 56k dialup is our only reasonably priced option here.  It makes me sad.
>
> Plenty fast for ASCII text messages - the
only kind used by this group.....

Hey, that's a lot faster that the first
Cat modem I had many years ago.  The kind
with the cups for the handset, and a full
300 baud....

Lessee.  At about the same time you could
get a 9,600 baud modem for many $thousands,
and it was as big as todays PCs.  You needed a
"conditioned line" to use it, and that would cost
you a little more.

By contrast, you're really living it up...  ;-)

    -- Bob