[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:18:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM, john-thomas richards<jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 04:31:24PM -0400, John J. Foerch wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 03:56:42PM -0400, john-thomas richards wrote:
> [snip]

>> > Just keep telling ourselves, "it's coming...it's coming..."
>>

>> And send some of that over this way to Lowell Township while you're at it.
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> John Foerch
>
> I honestly do not know what I would do with more bandwidth.  Faster
> upload would be great, but I don't run a server.  Backing up to my
> online backup would be more convenient, that's all.  I have the basic
> speed (8Mbps?) from Comcast and my wife and I can both watch something
> from hulu.com just fine.  I'm not sure what more speed would get me.
> Not that I wouldn't love it, mind you, I just don't know what I'd do
> with it.

Imagine a network where the norm would be for your "internet
appliance" to not be just a web browser connecting to the rest of the
world, but be the end SMTP target for your email, the hosting of your
private section of your social network, and the place you share your
pictures, video and recordings from.  Where the single point of
failure is under your control, and not shared by tens of millions of
people.