[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:28:27 EDT 2009

The population density argument is often
cited, but I think if there was anything to
it most of us wouldn't have landlines, cable,
water, sewer, electricity, etc.  Certainly one
wouldn't include fibers to the boonies in the
beginning, but metropolitan areas in most
states are surely candidates.  It's no more
expensive to run a fiber to the home than
a twisted pair if you do it during construction.

The average cost to run a twisted pair today
is about $2,000.  But it's a long term investment,
and the phone or cable companies could
amortise the cost over 20 years or more.  A
fiber could be retrofitted for that much, on
average, and less in many cases.

France has over 50Mbps, and it does not have
the population density of SK or Japan.  Even
so, one would sensibly start in Paris.

   -- Bob