[GRLUG] New Ubuntu Student Lab with MultiseatX

Darrin Sculley darrin at sculley.cc
Fri Oct 2 10:06:47 EDT 2009

With regards to LTSP, the school actually migrated off from a M$ Terminal
Server setup and they were very disappointed with video playback.  They
wanted to go back to "local" hardware.
With local CPU and GPU, video conferencing, movie playback, video editing
and video-intensive educational "games" are possible.

We currently have about 30 older machines that are running Ubuntu also
locally.  A diskless workstation may help there with the aging hard drives
and poor video performance anyway.  We're using DRBL for cloning, perhaps we
could go diskless with those seats...

Good feedback everyone!  Appreciate it!

Does the group ever do field trips?  If anyone wants to see it in action, I
might be able to get permission for a tour...

Darrin