[GRLUG] New Ubuntu Student Lab with MultiseatX

donlumber at comcast.net donlumber at comcast.net
Thu Oct 1 17:00:32 EDT 2009

From: "Ben Rousch" <brousch at gmail.com>
To: grlug at grlug.org
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:05:28 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [GRLUG] New Ubuntu Student Lab with MultiseatX

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Darrin Sculley <darrin at sculley.cc> wrote:
> All,
> First posting to this mailing list. Hello! Hope to meet you all at the
> September meeting when its scheduled (or next meeting).
> Newbie to Linux, so be patient with me. Lots of PC experience, but not with
> Linux.
> Looking to share stories. This past year, I helped the school that my
> children attend to switch to Linux. New lab, with 32 seats. MultiseatX
> with Ubuntu 9.04 connected to a Ubuntu server. Very challenging and fun to
> build the computers and get Multiseat working.
> Has anyone else out there tried Multiseat?
> I would be glad to share specifics about hardware and configuration choices,
> if the group is interested.
> Darrin

I toyed with LTSP a few years ago, but this sounds even better. I'd
love to hear more about your setup!

If I may, can I ask why this would be better? I've actually deployed LTSP in a production environment and it worked well. I guess I don't understand what the advantages would be over LTSP? video acceleration maybe?