[GRLUG] XMPP Proxy/Middleware Service?

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:10:21 EDT 2009

I'm not sure I understand the question exactly ... Do you want a client
based solution, or a server based solution?
Do you want the client (web browser) to query the web server that then
in-turn queries a central XMPP Server?

Why would a daemon need to run when PHP has a wrapper for Unix Sockets - PHP
can do this directly and quite efficiently with one of several libraries
that are available for XMPP Services.

If you are using PHP as the proxy to query an XMPP Server on the clients
behalf and you need a more robust or efficient client - I would suggest
implementing your own client using Jquery and Json - json markup is much
lighter weight than xml (jabber/xmpp) - especially to the browser...

The last option is using a Flash client which wouldn't be too hard to
implement using XIFF.

As far as a well rounded boxed opensource solution that's going to work
robustly on an intranet - I don't know of such a thing.