[GRLUG] I'm annoyed at SourceForge

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:48:39 EDT 2009

I've been trying for several days now to get ImplSearchBot accepted as
a SourceForge project.  Both times, it's been rejected for revision as
"We're sorry, but due to the thousands of project requests we get per
day, we don't have time to look at all the links." (Though I didn't
get the reply to the first attempt until Monday, when I submitted it
on Saturday.)

I was mildly annoyed the first time, as the links I'd included pointed
to the bot's existing page which contained its description of behavior
and its source code, and the description wasn't that long.  Still, I
understood where they were coming from, and replaced all the URLs in
my request with several paragraphs detailing the behavior, theory and
benefit behind how ImplSearchBot works.  Then I resubmitted.

The next day, Tuesday, I got *another* rejection notice, for the same
reason.  Scratching my head, I looked over the request I'd sent,
thinking I'd forgotten to delete the URLs in addition to the technical
description I'd provided.  No dice; I'd correctly removed the URLs.

So I scratched my head some more, trying to figure out why they were
complaining about links.  Then I saw it.  I'd included as part of its
description "I created ImplSearchBot as part of administering
rosettacode.org" -- I often refer to Rosetta Code as rosettacode.org,
for the simple reason that the phrase "Rosetta Code" sometimes gets
confused with either spoken/written language software or the software
used to run old Mac software on newer Macs.  Someone or something saw
the term "rosettacode.org" and decided that they would have to click
on it before making a host/no-host decision, and clicked the "reject
because of URLs" quick-reject button.

I'll try one more time, removing mention of Rosetta Code's domain
name.  If it gets rejected again, I'll find someone else to host it.
Google Code has a nice system going, but I know a fair number of folks
who don't want to touch it because they don't like the privacy
implications of having that much mineable data under the control of a
single company.  SourceForge was a close second choice because they've
got a long and established history hosting Open Source projects, and
I've participated and run projects there before.  I'm not crazy about
GitHub, partially because I haven't yet learned Git, partially because
they're a new player, and partially because their free accounts are
limited in size.