[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:39:55 EDT 2009

Just to answer a couple quick questions I see here...

- You wouldn't need to pair a small computer with each router, routers
_are_ small computers.
- Yes, OpenWRT has packages for OLSR mesh networking, as well as
B.A.T.M.A.N. mesh routing protocol.  Also, WPA2-PSK.

Conclusion:  If someone wants to experiment with setting up a
localnet, I'm all for it.  I have 5 Netgear WGT634Us which run OpenWRT
quite well, and I can suggest some other great hardware:

Ubiquity Networks (http://www.ubnt.com/) sells some of the nicest
inexpensive WISP hardware around - preloaded with either OpenWRT or
their specialized WISP firmware.  Most of it is already packaged for
outdoor installation.

For indoor use, these folks (http://www.open-mesh.com/store/) seem to
have the cheapest solution around.  I've never used their hardware,
though.

I live in a 2 story building near the corner of Leonard and Alpine.
I'd be perfectly willing to set up a big directional antenna on the
roof, and point it at someone.  Anyone want to start this thing?

--tim