[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

tim at izzyig.com tim at izzyig.com
Mon May 18 13:05:30 EDT 2009

> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 12:30 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
>> I wonder whether this is another reason
>> Comcast got a yen for implementing
>> monthly byte quotes.  A router ( I'm
>> assuming this is a router? ) with that kind
>> of range could provide free Internet access
>> to a big piece of a neighborhood if no
>> encryption is used.
>
> Sharing your for-consumer-use Internet connection beyond your
> "household" is almost certainly a violation of your EULA (contract).
>
>> Can using boosters be considered
>> redistributing a service?
>
> I don't think so;  letting people other than those in your "household"
> would be redistribution.  Rules are very much like those of fair-use:  I
> can record on VCR/DVR a TV show to watch later,  I *cannot* give that
> recording to my buddy to watch at his house.
>
>> But then, boosting
>> only affects the outgoing signal.  From how
>> far can a typical laptop send info upstream?
>
> Certainly less distance than the range of the AP.  Just like the range
> of the AP it depends allot on environmentals.  While you may get 300
> yards out of an AP in a neighborhood of level terrain, minimal
> vegetation, wood frame houses, clear skies, and minimal EMF interference
> the usable range in most circumstances (or even weather) is dramatically
> less than that.
>
>> Well, one could still provide a neighborhood
>> radio streaming service.....
>
> Maybe, but I doubt it.  You could certainly provide IP (or at least
> IPv6) connectivity but the latency of skipping across a half dozen or so
> APs would stack up pretty fast.  Much like a satellite connection it
> wouldn't be very pleasant for any kind of interactive use.
>
> But it is a very interesting idea.

reminds me a lot of what the fonera project does only with mesh.
http://www.fon.com/en/ they sold wrt54gl's for $5 if you used it on their
network. That was a few years ago. Now they have their own custom AP's.
This would be in violation of most ISPs AUP. Also given enough hops the
latency would make it almost un-usable.