[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

Adam Tauno WIlliams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon May 18 12:48:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 12:30 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> I wonder whether this is another reason
> Comcast got a yen for implementing
> monthly byte quotes.  A router ( I'm
> assuming this is a router? ) with that kind
> of range could provide free Internet access
> to a big piece of a neighborhood if no
> encryption is used.

Sharing your for-consumer-use Internet connection beyond your
"household" is almost certainly a violation of your EULA (contract).

> Can using boosters be considered
> redistributing a service?

I don't think so;  letting people other than those in your "household"
would be redistribution.  Rules are very much like those of fair-use:  I
can record on VCR/DVR a TV show to watch later,  I *cannot* give that
recording to my buddy to watch at his house.

> But then, boosting
> only affects the outgoing signal.  From how
> far can a typical laptop send info upstream?

Certainly less distance than the range of the AP.  Just like the range
of the AP it depends allot on environmentals.  While you may get 300
yards out of an AP in a neighborhood of level terrain, minimal
vegetation, wood frame houses, clear skies, and minimal EMF interference
the usable range in most circumstances (or even weather) is dramatically
less than that.

> Well, one could still provide a neighborhood
> radio streaming service.....

Maybe, but I doubt it.  You could certainly provide IP (or at least
IPv6) connectivity but the latency of skipping across a half dozen or so
APs would stack up pretty fast.  Much like a satellite connection it
wouldn't be very pleasant for any kind of interactive use.

But it is a very interesting idea.