[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:30:13 EDT 2009

I wonder whether this is another reason
Comcast got a yen for implementing
monthly byte quotes.  A router ( I'm
assuming this is a router? ) with that kind
of range could provide free Internet access
to a big piece of a neighborhood if no
encryption is used.

So how does Comcast decide whether that
kind of range is legitimate, or has this ever
come up?  Can using boosters be considered
redistributing a service?  But then, boosting
only affects the outgoing signal.  From how
far can a typical laptop send info upstream?

Well, one could still provide a neighborhood
radio streaming service.....

   -- Bob