[GRLUG] Block characters in gnome-termina after changing video card

Adam Tauno WIlliams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun May 17 14:48:48 EDT 2009

I have a workstation (P4, 1GB RAM) that had rather crappy performance,
especially in anything related to video;  scrolling a terminal window or
web page in firefox was simply frustrating.  So I replaced the nvidia
Vanta 16 AGP card that was in the machine with an nvidia GeForce 8400GS
PCI (512MB DDR2/567MHz core).  Configuring the card was a breeze and X
came right back up.  Now, even with compiz/xgl turned on, the
performance is really good for a box of this vintage.  Everything works,
except of course for one problem:

In gnome-terminal the the characters I type on the command line randomly
appear as blocks rather than characters.  Then when I hit enter, or even
just click in the window, they suddenly appear.  As if what I'm seeing
is an artifact of the cursor block.  Characters coming from the system
(command output, etc...) never appear as blocked, just the ones I type
on the command line,  Crufty old xterm doesn't have the problem and
neither does any other application (evolution, etc...)

openSUSE 11.1, 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae, X.org 7.4.1
gnome-terminal-2.24.1.1-1.20
gtk2-2.14.4-8.7.1