[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun May 17 11:37:17 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Tom Warren
<tomewarren+grlug at gmail.com<tomewarren%2Bgrlug at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Tom Warren <tomewarren+grlug at gmail.com<tomewarren%2Bgrlug at gmail.com>
>> > wrote:

>>> What is the output of ls -ld /drive2 ? This could very well be a
>>> permissions issue.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> 755  root root
>>
>> I changed the owner to myself, and
>> nothing changes.
>>
>> But then, I can look at any other directory
>> in root with similar permissions.  Just not the
>> external drive.
>>
>>    -- Bob

> As the user (non-root) can you list the contents of the Filesystem? Are we
> maybe dealing with an ACL?  Run "getfacl /disk2" before and after you mount
> the drive and post the output.
>

> Tom

Before mounting:

# file: disk2
# owner: me
# group: me
user::rwx
group:: r-x
other::r-x

After mounting:

# file: disk2
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-w

So the mount process does indeed change
permissions, but this should not change a
couple of key things:

1)  Konqueror works fine.  I can view the
contents of /disk2 as expected.

2)  The permissions are 755, so I should be
able to at least view the contents of disk2
in any case.

3) I can view the contents of /disk2 one
file at a time.  e.g., if I enter file:///disk2/myfile.html
as the URL to Firefox, the contents are displayed.
It's only when I enter file:///disk2 that I get a blank
page.

At this point it does seem that Firefox requires
some kind of permissions that just aren't there.
I tried changing "owner" to "me", but nothing
changed - I still cannot view the contents of /disk2.

I can view the contents of any directory owned
by root on the primary drive.  Just not /disk2.

   -- Bob