[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri May 15 17:21:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Raymond McLaughlin <driveray at ameritech.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Bob Kline wrote:
>>
>> > I tried Konqueror, and it finds the external
>> > external drive just fine,  shows it to be at /disk2/,
>> > and lists the contents.
>>
>> Do you know, is Konqueror browsing to the actual mount point, or is it
>> following a symlinK?
>
> I'm not sure how I would answer that.
> What I can say is that I enter file:///disk2,
> and it display /disk2/ and the directory
> contents.
>>

>> > Entering that in to Firefox brings up nothing,
>> > so it does indeed appear to be a Firefox issue.
>>
>> You mean it sees the mount point, but shows an empty directory?
>
> Entering either of the items mentioned
> above, a blank page results.  How it
> comes to show nothing I'm not sure.
>>

>> > For now I can just use Konqueror if need be,
>> > but it would still be of interest to know what
>> > Firefox needs to make it happy.
>> >
>> >     -- Bob

1. What's the filesystem on the external disk?
2. What's the output of "mount" on the command line?
3. Are you using fstab to specify the mount? If you are, then what's
the line in fstab for this disk?  If you don't know what I'm referring
to, then you're almost certainly not. (And thus can ignore this
question.)