[GRLUG] How to Custom Image 100 plus laptop

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 30 10:12:53 EDT 2009

> If you are going to install Adobe's Flash and .pdf reader, you don't need
> Evince.  (Brace for storm of protest!!!)

No protest - just ditto.  I'd never subject end users to Evince;
install acroread.

> Are all the machines identical?

I've rolled out large number of LINUX workstations in the past.  I just
used dd for identical machines and then tweaked the host names, etc...
If the machines aren't identical... forget about it, you are going to be
doing 100 individual installs.   There are some nifty things you can do
with customizing the install to default to include certain things,
etc... but by the time you get that figured out and setup [documentation
is scant and generally scat as well] you probably could have installed
100 machines.  At most I'd make a shell script to make sure all the
required stuff is installed and just run that after doing a minimal
install.

#!/bin/bash
yum install openoffice
 etc...