[GRLUG] How to Custom Image 100 plus laptops

Jim Becher jbecher at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 00:51:06 EDT 2009

Hello all, I have not posted for a long time.

I am looking for some suggestions and advise on how to deploy Ubuntu on 100 laptops.

I have been working with http://forgr.wordpress.com/ (ellohay.org) and plan on deploying Linux for some non technical users.  Ping me in this sounds interesting, because come July we are looking to do an install fest with near 100 laptops.

I understand imaging or ghosting machines, but I am more concerned on how to customize / configure / then deploy.
What is the best method to install and remove applications, customize the xwindow, save some config settings, put on logos - desktop images, and basically lock down unneeded apps.  Then create a deployment or install from that.

I have heard the term re-mastering or creating a distro but really don't see how that can help.

Overall we are looking to have something similar to what Dell or HP does when they deploy linux on a netbook.

As a group we would like to install the following applications - and I'll take any suggestions on some preferred software

Web browser (firefox) - need to install flash, pdf, and quicktime player
Email client (?) - needs to be easy to use
Word processor (open office)
Spreadsheets (open office)
video player (vlc, mplayer?)
pdf reader -
Real audio client
Instant message client
(updates to only happen once a month)
wireless manager

Any help / suggestions would be great.  You can contact me directly if you have any experience in this.  We are looking for anyone interested in helping

Jim Becher
616 862 6579