[GRLUG] HUGE new QEMU release

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:08:41 EST 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> For starters, it should now be possible to produce a useful build
> without a local account on Fabrice Bellard's (the lead QEMU developer)
> development machine.  That is to say, QEMU has depended very closely
> on very specific behavior of older versions of GCC.  QEMU now contains
> it's own optimizing C compiler - TCG - which alleviates this
> dependency.

Geez!  Please tell me that TCG, at least, is written in standard
(either C89 or C99) C.  The fact that they can't get QEMU to work with
a standard C compiler does not bode well for the project.  Depend on
an in-house compiler suggests that they're going to have even greater
difficulty transitioning to newer CPU architectures as host platforms.