[GRLUG] REMINDER * GRLUG meeting NEXT WEEK Wednesday July 8th

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:43:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Steve Romanow<slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Steve Romanow<slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be happy to put together a bit on what I've found out about mesh
>>> networking.  No promises, but I might be able to burn a bunch of DVDs
>>> or SVCDs with the last meeting on them. (I'd come with the DVDs
>>> already burned, this time...)
>>>

>>> I would like to see the mesh networking.
>>>

>> I don't have a demo, but I've been learning a lot about the standards,
>> hardware and geographical considerations.  That's not to say there
>> aren't others on this list who wouldn't dwarf my knowledge on the
>> subject, though...
>>

> We have some ham operators dont we?  Maybe we could do a whole radio
> comms night?  George Verduin has some setup with linux + ham, but I have
> not seen him at a meeting in a while.

I've got a Technician's License, but I haven't had the money to spend
on a set yet.  Nevertheless, I would definitely be interested to see
some presentations on tying Linux PCs with ham radio.  I know the
kernel has built-in support for packet radio, and there are quite a
number of ham-focused packages in the Ubuntu repos.