[GRLUG] Headerless website rendering

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:33:58 EDT 2009

Hey Ben,
Imagine opening your browser, installing WebDeveloper Plugin, visiting a
page, and clicking "View Generated Source" and saving it to a text file.
This is what I am doing server-side with no browser or client involved,
completely from the execution of a program.

Let me be more specific, I'm not talking about server-side ECMA script
execution, I'm talking about Emulating a Browser Engine - Server side
programatically.
It is pretty difficult to simulate the exact manner in which your browser
renders, displays, arranges, re-orders, event listens, parses the DOM when
received from a server not to mention how your browser handles redirects,
forwards, headers, meta tags - on and on.

It would (In my opinion) be a bad idea for me to attempt to replicate the
behavior of a Browser in any fashion by attempting to execute Javascript /
ECMA script server side.  If you could for example get a Javascript (jquery)
library to act upon a DOM server-side or you know of a way I would be very
interested to know about it.

In addition when you interact and execute Javascript using a Browser engine
(Gecko, or Webkit) you have programmatic access to the execution,
callbacks/events, the dom itself, and lots of other stuff that you normally
wouldn't by just running server-side Javascript.

The more interesting part of this was to actually render screenshots of
webpages as a browser does in a Virtual Framebuffer.

Believe it or not, I'm using this code now for debugging purposes in my
web-development and the possabilities are endless :)

I hope this better explains what I am doing...