[GRLUG] keyboards

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Jul 22 19:55:51 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:00:08PM -0400, topher at wcsg.org wrote:
> This is a little convoluted, so please bear with me.
>
> I recently bought Apple's smallest keyboard,
> http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB869LL/A?mco=NDIyNjYzMw
>
> I use enlightenment as my window manager, and it has a nice gui for
> mapping keys to bindings.  It can handle these meta keys:
>
> CTRL
> ALT
> SHIFT
> WIN
> MOD3
> MOD4
> MOD5
>
> As far as I can tell, the CMD key doesn't map to any of these, though I
> could be wrong.
>
> Anyone know how I could figure out what it is, and how to access it?  I'd
> rather not use a gnome or KDE mapper, but something lower down, so it's
> available to X, or at least E.

The easy answer is to upgrade to e17.  The new keymapping app has a
feature to "press a key to select" so you don't have to try to figure it
out.  I was able to get my laptop's volume control buttons working that
way.  If the keycode is recognizable, I'm sure e would allow you to map
it.  Of course, it would only be available in e, but what's x without e?

[snip]
--
john-thomas
------