[GRLUG] DBMAIL

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jul 17 07:34:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 22:10 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Ben DeMott<ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with DBMAIL ?
> > I think I'm going to install it at work and to play with it....  The idea
> > seems good.
> No, but looking at it makes me wonder what kinds of things I could do
> to make email more searchable.  Body text search, per-header searches,
> etc.  I'd have to put an insert trigger on dbmail's tables to automate
> the processing and push the indexing data into another table whose
> format I control, but it'd be interesting.

Cyrus IMAPd supports full-text indexing of message content via SQUAT in
addition to an indexed header store.  Just submit your searches to the
server using the IMAP protocol.  We've integrated IMAP support into our
CRM solution (which uses OpenGroupware & Cyrus as a backend) - search
performance is VERY good.

It also has an experimental SQL backend if you really want to go that
route.  Personally for e-mail I'm very conservative and stick with the
filesystem store.