[GRLUG] python app speed

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 21:11:48 EDT 2009

PHP's Weakness is ZEND - 2.0 fixed a lot of problems, but there have been
large amounts of talk about completely separating from the Zend Engine
altogether and using the same interpreter that PERL Uses as the foundation -
which I am in favor of - and I will help with if the decision is made.

The curly brace and breaking in and out of PHP - no worries Michael PHP 6 is
likely going to remove the braces being optional - if you interrupt a
command you break the interpreter. (you can't leave code within a block)  -
I see what you mean by it being an inconsistency however.

<?php
function myfunc ?> <htmltag> <?php () {

}

---- Obviously INVALID.

Zend has a bug currently in the release of 5.2.9 like so:

<?php $mystring = "string" . 'string' . "string $var" . (4+5) . 'hi'; ?>  =
works
<?php $mystring = "string" . 'string' . "string $var" . (4+5) . 'hi' =
works  (one liners don't need an semicolon or a closing brace if its the end
of the file)
<?php $mystring = "string" . 'string' . "string $var" . {4+5} . 'hi'; ?>  =
crashes the Zend Interpreter with "UNKNOWN COMPILE ERROR"
- The curly braces are obviously void - but the fact that for some reason
concatenation and braces causes it to break to a point of not generating a
line notice is beyond me.

The only other similar language offering in the Microsoft or .NET world is
VB for rapid development and don't even get me started.

Its open source, why not contribute and help the PHP community fix the
issue!! :)