[GRLUG] python app speed

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jul 16 17:37:07 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 16:06 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Steve Romanow<slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is GC?  I do not know that acronym.  I think what I am centering on
> > is the speed of development and maintenance.  As far as end user app
> > speed is concerned, as long as it is acceptable I choose maintainability.
> When you're talking about speed of development, you open up an
> entirely different can of worms.  While a language can have all sorts
> of resources aimed towards accelerating development and improving
> maintainability, but if the developer isn't aware of them or doesn't
> know how to use them effectively, they're not going to be particularly
> effective.
> Depending on what the app needs to do, I could quickly write a
> maintainable app in C++, Perl or PHP.  Python and Ruby are described
> as being excellent languages for rapid development,

Agree;  for maintainability I'd but just about every language in pretty
much the same bucket.   It is primarily about developer competence and
familiarity with the tool-chain.

For large projects I [strongly] believe that statically typed languages
have a clear advantage.  But for most cases the biggest factor for
maintainability is documentation.

> For a given problem domain, speed of development and codebase
> maintainability depend more on the developer's skill and his
> familiarity with his tools than on the specific features a tool has
> over a competing one.

Yep.