[GRLUG] python app speed

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:06:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Steve Romanow<slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is GC?  I do not know that acronym.  I think what I am centering on
> is the speed of development and maintenance.  As far as end user app
> speed is concerned, as long as it is acceptable I choose maintainability.

When you're talking about speed of development, you open up an
entirely different can of worms.  While a language can have all sorts
of resources aimed towards accelerating development and improving
maintainability, but if the developer isn't aware of them or doesn't
know how to use them effectively, they're not going to be particularly
effective.

Depending on what the app needs to do, I could quickly write a
maintainable app in C++, Perl or PHP.  Python and Ruby are described
as being excellent languages for rapid development, but don't expect
me to be able to use them well; I haven't taken the time to learn
Python very well, and I've never written even a basic Ruby app.

For a given problem domain, speed of development and codebase
maintainability depend more on the developer's skill and his
familiarity with his tools than on the specific features a tool has
over a competing one.

Then, of course, you have domain-specific languages.