[GRLUG] python app speed

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 15:24:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Ben DeMott<ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should be typed.... Java and .Net are measurably slower than Python,
> especially Java, and especially in real world applications.

Um, as a guy who pays attention to different languages and their
capabilities, may I recommend we avoid falling into an argument of
which language has been measured to be faster than another?

A number of factors will affect how an application written for one
language will perform compared to that same application written for
another, and most of these factors are in fact controllable and
tunable by the sufficiently savvy developer.  Everything from being
aware of low-level constructs to being aware of the behavior of GC to
"syntactic sugar" that lets compilers and JIT optimizers do a better
job at reducing a high level concept into an efficient sequence of
low-level concepts.

In short, tuning is key. If you write your code strictly from a
program flow standpoint, and if you don't consider what's going on at
the next level down, you're not going to get the performance you can,
and you're not going to recognize when some weird construct or pattern
of behavior in your code is causing the problems.