[GRLUG] Mass Market Software

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 10:40:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Matthew Seeley<matthew at threadlight.com> wrote:
> One such "Windows App Store" already exists.
>
> It's called Impulse, and it's run by Stardock just outside of Detroit MI.
>
> http://www.impulsedriven.com/
>
> Does Games, Apps, pretty much anything that runs on Windows. It's
> kinda heavily weighted towards games right now, but you can buy
> utilities, office software, and even stuff like "Corel Paint Shop
> Pro".
>

> FOSS already has an app store. It's called apt-get, and everything is free :)

For Windows?

One of the reasons I love Linux is that I can browse through the repos
and find interesting software and ideas I didn't know I had a use for
until I found them.  Cygwin *kinda* allows that, but not really; It
*really* needs an overhaul of its package management.

There's also a lot of excellent, free-as-in-beer software for
Windows*, but it's hard to find among all the virus and trojan-ladden
crap.  The Windows user's experience with their "free" software
ecology is a lot like unprotected sex; That anti-virus is only going
to work 99% of the time.

A central, vetted repository off free software with an accessible
client and package management system to aid in adding and removing
packages would be great.

* I'm not talking about the Big, Big brands like Mozilla and
OpenOffice, which are "free as in speech" anyway, but the small
single-developer apps that someone wrote to scratch an itch.