[GRLUG] amazon EC2 and/or Eucalyptus?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:20:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Nick Suravaramn<mailtonick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't used Eucalyptus, I haven't used RHEL 2.4 on Amazon...
> I played with Amazon EC2 to test viability for a project. Once I had the
> security configured and keys setup, it was straightforward.
> I decided to use the provided machine Images, windows and redhat. It was
> trial and error to find one with basic install and a default password.
> Hopefully they are better identified now. Took me about 2 hours to get it
> going. Fun project. My total cost was < $10.
>
> I ended up not using it because of our bandwidth issues, and SLA deficiency.
> I think they've since come out with a decent SLA.
> Nick

You know, now I'm wondering.  Is something like EC2 potentially
suitable for serving up semi-static content?  Such as being the store
for a caching accelerator such as Squid?  An HTTP 307 temporary
redirect could be served up by the caching accelerator for files that
change sufficiently infrequently.

Obviously some metrics need to be taken into account for cost of data
commit vs change frequency, and local vs remote store taken from that.