[GRLUG] Status of things

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:56:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Ben Rousch<brousch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Mol wrote:

>> > Something like that shouldn't be particularly painful to serve up via
>> > BitTorrent.  It's probably also suitable for Archive.org; It certainly
>> > represents a piece of modern culture and local community.
>> >

>> archive.org sounds really good, and we can link to it in all the other
>> mentioned places.
>
> This looks like a good option. I just need Adam and Michael to weigh in on a
> Creative Commons License to assign to the video. I would just make it as
> free as possible, but I want to make sure you all have a say in how the
> content is used. You can use this quick form (no need to fill in the text
> fields) to help select the license best suited to your ideals.

I'm comfortable with just CC-By; Most of the pics and video I put
online get that license.  All CC material has the By component, which
requires attribution.

CC-SA means that whoever uses it has to provide their modifications
under the same license. (i.e. the Viral nature of GPL2)

CC-ND means that however it gets used, it may not be modified.  This
wouldn't prevent, e.g. satire or mockery, as those are protected forms
of speech under Fair Use laws, anyway.  Instead, it tends to restrict
things like mashups.

CC-NC means that it's not allowed to be used for commercial purposes.
I avoid this one; I'd rather not spend my time negotiating requests to
use the content.